I recently had to answer some questions as part of the application process for a job. One of the questions was about what qualities I’d look for when hiring staff for a marketing department. here’s what I came up with:
- A willingness to experiment and the ability to learn constantly.
- Imagination creativity and curiosity.
- Raw analytic, strategic and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team.
- The ability to communicate clearly and articulate complex ideas in simple straightforward language.
- Potential to rise to the occasion, take on new challenges and manage shifting priorities.
- The ability to anticipate needs, form ad hoc contingency plans and a willingness to be opportunistic.
- The ability to synthesize solutions and make well-reasoned decisions based on a limited set of data.
- A positive, confident, healthy self-image and personal integrity and honesty.
- An understanding of (and enthusiasm for) the requirement to pragmatically operationalize business strategy.
I’m Steve Goodman.
My background is in sales, marketing, business development and general management. Back in 2002, after a successful and somewhat conventional career in the software and Internet business I decided to take a break and do something completely different.
I sold my house in San Francisco, put my stuff in storage and set out with just a backpack to travel, almost exclusively overland, throughout southeast Asia. I visited Thailand, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, India and Nepal.
In 2005 I settled down in Phnom Penh, Cambodia where I spent seven years working part-time as a freelance photographer, as a digital marketing consultant for a large advertising agency, as a publisher of blogs and photoblogs and as a guitar player in an assortment of rock and blues bands.
In 2012 I returned to America to restart my business career. After spending some time in the Detroit area visiting my mother and brother I am now living in Richmond, CA, just across the bay from San Francisco.